Re: [patch] jiffies wraparound [Re: 2.1.125 Show stopper list: Draft]

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 08:30:16 +0200

On Wed, Oct 21, 1998 at 03:34:57AM +0200, David S. Miller wrote:
> I do agree however that all of these sort of items should be unified
> into one sysconf() interface. We were just lucky on Sparc and
> inherited the system call from SunOS etc.

I think read-only sysctls are doing this fine. glibc has to implement
a sysconf wrapper for various reasons anyways, and then it can just call
sysctl(2). Another advantage is that it doesn't add any new code to the
kernel, just a few small sysctl table entries (and if that is not enough
sysctl is flexible enough to support arbitary functions)

-Andi