Re: Cyrix Detection -- NO SMP, please ?????

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 03:48:47 +0400 (EEST)

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 19, 1998 at 11:50:37AM +0300, Serguei Koubouchine wrote:
>
> > > The dists should be shipping two sets of kernels. Both with PPRO opt
> > > turned on and MTRR support. This leaves out the i386. SO? What the hell
> > > are you doing Running RedHat 5.5 w/ a 2.2 kernel on a i386?!? PPro opt
> > > will work on i486+. MTRR support must be on w/ PPRO+ SMP because some MBs
> > > dont set MTRRs correctly on both CPUs..
> >
> > i386 have almost become a history. May be I'm wrong, but I don't see any
> > sense to run 2.1.xxx-2.2.x kernels on i386. The entry level is i486.
>
> The i386 and compatible clones are popular for embedded apps. Also there
> are CPUs that aren't full i486 but more i386 on steroids.

"What the hell are you doing Running RedHat 5.5 w/ a 2.2 kernel on" the
embedded system ? Read before answer... For embedded system you'll not use
modern full-blown distribution with GNOME (KDE) based desktop...