Re: First try : devfs

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 09:13:19 +1000

NOTE: please send devfs bug reports directly to me and not the
list. That way we reduce list traffic and I get to see the bug reports
sooner.

Junichi Saito writes:

> I tried for the first time devfs, by applying devfs-patch-v70 to the
> kernel 2.1.125 and encountered some problems. I chose the most
> conservative method, ie, only enabled CONFIG_DEVFS_FS ( and
> CONFIG_DEVFS_TTY_COMPAT afterwards ), devfs not mounted on /dev, sevral
> old style device files (tty*, pty*, xconsole) left in /dev.
>
> Will be greatly appreciated any suggestions/answers to the following
> problems/questions. Thank you.

> 1=B0 Running certain applications (X, open) causes an oops. Somebody
> alre= ady reported the same problem related to the function init_dev
> in tty_io.c.

This isn't a devfs bug, it is a bug in driver/char/tty_io.c which Ted
has fixed. Grab 2.1.126-pre2 which has the fix. You'll need
devfs-patch-v71 for that.

> 2=B0 A start-up script initialising serial ports gets a message saying
> '/dev/ttySx: Operation not supported by device'.=20

Any kernel messages? What do the /dev/ttySx device nodes look like?

> 3=B0 When I reboot or shut down, I see now the message :
> =20
> swapoff: /dev/xxx: Invalid argument
> =20
> although at boot, the partition seems to be normally recognized.

What does the /dev/xxx device node look like just before you shut
down?

> Shouldn't they (2=B0, 3=B0) work as before ?

Yes. I get the impression that you're doing odd things with the /dev
directory, though. Can you give a complete "ls -lF /dev" please?

> 4=B0 How do I have to operate with block devices ? The partitions
> mounted= at boot appear as /devfs/hdax ( I have one IDE hd
> installed.). I can at least unmount one of them, using
> /devfs/hdax. As to removable mdedia such as cdroms, ide floppy
> disks for which I compiled drivers as module= > , I seem to have to
> use those new long names. Or are there more smart way= > s ?

In compatibility mode normal device nodes are supported, so an
existing /dev should work 100%. Also, the old-style device names are
still supported in a devfs (for drivers with devfs support). So you
should be able to use all your old device names.

[Please reply privately]

Regards,

Richard....