Re: First try : devfs

Junichi Saito (j.saito@wanadoo.fr)
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 00:56:49 +0200 (CET)

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Shawn Leas wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Junichi Saito wrote:
>

>> I tried for the first time devfs, by applying devfs-patch-v70 to the
>> kernel 2.1.125 and encountered some problems. I chose the most
>> conservative method, ie, only enabled CONFIG_DEVFS_FS ( and
>> CONFIG_DEVFS_TTY_COMPAT afterwards ), devfs not mounted on /dev, sevral
>> old style device files (tty*, pty*, xconsole) left in /dev.
>>
>> Will be greatly appreciated any suggestions/answers to the following
>> problems/questions. Thank you.
>>
>> 1° Running certain applications (X, open) causes an oops. Somebody already
>> reported the same problem related to the function init_dev in tty_io.c.
>>
>> 2° A start-up script initialising serial ports gets a message saying
>> '/dev/ttySx: Operation not supported by device'.
>>
>> 3° When I reboot or shut down, I see now the message :
>>
>> swapoff: /dev/xxx: Invalid argument
>>
>> although at boot, the partition seems to be normally recognized.
>>
>> Shouldn't they (2°, 3°) work as before ?
>>
>> 4° How do I have to operate with block devices ? The partitions mounted at
>> boot appear as /devfs/hdax ( I have one IDE hd installed.). I can at
>> least unmount one of them, using /devfs/hdax. As to removable mdedia
>> such as cdroms, ide floppy disks for which I compiled drivers as module,
>> I seem to have to use those new long names. Or are there more smart ways ?
>>

>> junichi
>
>Attatch the relevant lines of your .config, because I have
>had NO problems ith recent versions of devfs.
>
>-Shawn
><=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
> Day 2099 for the poor and the middle class.
> Day 2118 for the rich and the dead.
> 823 days remaining in the Raw Deal.
><============================================>

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY=m
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y <------ Is this right ?
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTY_COUNT=256
CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=m
CONFIG_DEVFS_FS=y
# CONFIG_DEVFS_ONLY is not set
# CONFIG_DEVFS_DISABLE_OLD_NAMES is not set
# CONFIG_DEVFS_DISABLE_OLD_TTY_NAMES is not set
# CONFIG_DEVFS_TTY_COMPAT is not set
# CONFIG_DEVFS_MOUNT is not set
# CONFIG_DEVFS_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_DEVFS_BOOT_OPTIONS is not set

Also enabled afterwards Sysrq because of oops.

I followed literally, I think, the instructions of README ( Fail-safe
Approach with real /dev inodes ).

junichi