Re: -j zImage (locales)

ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 20:28:43 +0200

On Tue, Oct 20, 1998 at 07:25:03AM -0700, David Lang wrote:

> The international language for Air traffic control is english, this is not
> nessasarily a good or a bad thing, it is a fact that it was realized years
> ago that hurt feelings by some contries was less important then the
> ability to communicate. For Linux, if we have someone (or some program)
> that will translate ALL the comments into another language, good, go for
> it. but the key advantage of Linux is the open source available for all to
> read, this advantage will be meaningless if the comments start fragmenting
> into whatever language the latest programmer decided to comment in.

The real problem is not communication between kernel programmers, it's about
ordinary users that have to understand whatever the kernel tries to
communicate to them. It's unreasonable to expect all users to learn
English for just that purpose just as it is to expect them to learn
French because the official international postal language is French. That's
what the guy at the post office is for.

Ralf