Re: -j zImage (locales)

Jochen Heuer (jogi@planetzork.ping.de)
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 00:18:15 +0200

On Sun, Oct 18, 1998 at 11:29:54AM +0100, Ragnar Hojland Espinosa wrote:

> On 17 Oct 1998, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
> Okay, personal opinion:

> > > How did you see this meesage?
> > This is a glibc message. glibc uses locales for those.

Whohoo, what did I do :)

> Locales are a bad idea. Locales in error/library messages are a horrible
> idea. "Locales" in the kernel is.. well, I think we flamed about this a
> few times..

Well, I don't think locales are a bad idea. I had no problem to set $LANG=en
and reproduce the error with the english message. Although I think it would
be nice if you get the translated message plus an additional error code. So
it would be clear to every kernel developer what message is meant and the
non power user who is maybe not so familiar with english has a chance to
understand what's wrong.

> > > Why these messages are not in English?
> > Why should they ?
>
> Dunno. Maybe Linus should start putting code and documentation written in
> .fi, others in .cz, .es, .de, etc. The point is, I cant help this guy it I
> dont know german. Or japanese, or whatever. We have a more or less common
> language. Why not stick to it?

This is not the point. If it had an additional error code you too would know
what was meant and even my mother could have understand it. Although she
does not know what Hauptspeicher (memory) means :)

Regards,

Jogi

--

Well, yeah ... I suppose there's no point in getting greedy, is there?

<< Calvin & Hobbes >>