Re: Motherboard design specifically for Linux

ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 21:26:16 +0200

On Tue, Oct 20, 1998 at 08:17:17AM +0200, Kurt Garloff wrote:

> Intelligent BIOS: Understanding Minix, VFAT, isofs and _ext2_ makes booting
> of any OS very easy. Maybe a part should be flashable just like you can
> flash MILO into a DEC Alpha. So you hardcode some Flash management into a
> ROM and have the other parts (PCI Card initialization, CPU setup, Hardware
> tests, ..., Filesystem interface, ...) flashable.

Making the machine understand all sorts of filesystems is quite easy,
you can put a whole Linux kernel into the flash. We for example used this
for the Cobalt Qube but afaik the Alpha Milo works similar.

More important will be to get this feature implemented in a way that is
going to prevent users from crashing their machines in a way that can only
be fixed with a EPROM burner.

Ralf