Re: jiffies wraparound

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 09:41:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 18 Oct 1998, Chris Evans wrote:

> For me, a stable kernel should have all known bugs fixed. This includes
> ones that "won't happen often", and especially ones that will "certainly
> occur after a given time", even if that time is large.

Guys, get real.

A stable kernel should be stable. It's never going to be bug-free.

If somebody sends me a patch that fixes this in such an obvious manner
that he can guarantee 100% that the problem is gone, I can apply such a
patch. That includes every driver out there that touches jiffies.

And even then it's probably going to be a 2.2.x patch rather than a 2.2.0
thing.

Chris, you have your priorities screwed up. We have problems with certain
drivers not working at all - people ask me to upgrade to drivers that
completely lock up my machine in a day or so. The 408 day problem is a
non-issue.

Linus