Re: AIC7xxx timeouts/What can I send to you

Eastep, Tom (eastep@loc1.tandem.com)
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 10:26:26 -0700

Simon Kirby wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Ricardo Galli Granada wrote:
>
> > Hi Doug,
> >
> > I sent you last week a report of the aic driver giving tons of
> > timeouts with a 2940UW adapter.
> >
> > Last weekend I stopped our SMP production machine (a RC440LX with 2 PII
> > 300) with a 7880. It gave me same errors from the very begining, I just
> > went back to a stock non_SMP 2.0.35 kernel.
> >
> > It seems the few people are affected by this timeouts, anyone knows why?
> > It's very strange that in our two servers with Adaptecs we have the same
> > problem.
>
> Hello!
>
> We have the same problem here with ASUS P2L97 boards and the onboard
> aic7880p. We have about 15 of the things, and recently I tried to upgrade
> 3 of them to 2.1.125 -- one worked perfectly, the other two started giving
> timeouts. I tried playing with termination both in the bios and with the

I'm seeing the same problem here under heavy load. System is an HP Vectra XU
6/150 SMP with onboard aic7880U (Rev 0), BIOS 1.2v-HP.

When I originally tried 5.1.* AIC7XXX drivers, I was unable to boot due to
parity errors. I fooled around with cables, termination and the driver
termination settings without success. I finally dug an old AVA1505E out of the
closet, installed it, and moved my HP DAT into it. Now, the system boots and
runs ok under light
load but I get timeouts under heavy load. With the old AIC7XXX drivers, the
system ran great.

--
Tom Eastep
COMPAQ Computer Corporation