Re: Static v Dynamic IP on dial-up?

Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech-lists@twilight.ucw.cz)
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 19:01:04 +0200

On Tue, Oct 20, 1998 at 02:36:24PM +0100, Riley Williams wrote:

> My experience (with an ISP that explicitly allows multi-connects) has
> been that wish static IP's, as soon as the second modem is
> authenticated, both drop because of protocol violations connected with
> having duplicated IP's...
>
> With the same ISP, when we switched to dynamic IP's, everything
> started working as it's supposed to...

It's just the fact you need three different static IP's, if you want
static IP addresses. => Three different accounts on the ISP's modem
server.

Also, if the ISP doesn't explicitely support EQL, then you don't get real
balancing on the three lines, not depending on whether the IP's are static
or dynamic. You will only see a performance increase over one modem if you
have many simultaneous outgoing conections. This is usually not exactly what
is needed.

Furthermore, if you have a .network. connected using three modems with
dynamic IP addresses, without explicit ballancing support from your ISP, I
don't think this can work well, unless you use proxy/masquerading, because
if you run any routing protocol over it, you'll either end up with one route
or no routes at all ...

All in all, using dynamic IP addresses for load ballanced connect is a
bad idea, imho.

Vojtech