Re: Documentation for Kernel functions

Tuukka Toivonen (tuukkat@ees2.oulu.fi)
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 19:08:29 +0300 (EET DST)

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 peter.teoh@db.com wrote:

> Currently there is no reference manual for all the functions implemented
>in the kernel, or the internal structures. Although there exists a few

> I would like to undertake this task....can someone comment on this?

A good idea, especially for people still learning the kernel (like me).

I have an idea, which might help deciding where to start:
1. Get the kernel symbol list (this should be easy enough).
2. Count (by a small program) how many times each symbol is referenced.
3. Sort most referenced symbol first.
4. Start documenting the symbols on the list from top to bottom.

Alternatively, start documenting modules/source files in the kernel tree so
that whole objects become documented quickly rather than functions here and
there would be documented fragmentedly.