Re: 9G disk, >4 partitions, and lose95

kwrohrer@ce.mediaone.net
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 10:59:08 -0500 (CDT)

And lo, Guest section DW saith unto me:

> From: kwrohrer@ce.mediaone.net
>
> I used Norton Disk Edit (booting DOS 5.0; linux fdisk won't let you
> re-type a partition to 0x5) to change the partition type to 0x5,
>
> The standard Linux command would be
> sfdisk -c /dev/hdb 2 5
> if you want to change the type of /dev/hdb2 into 5 (hex).

This sounds just like:

# fdisk /dev/hdb
fdisk> t
fdisk-t> 2
fdisk-t (L for list)> 5
Error: you can't change a partition to an extended partition.

Unless "sfdisk" is a "standard" program so new it's not in RH5.1, or
"sfdisk" is just static-linked fdisk and its command-line invocation
is more lax than it's menu-and-prompt version.

> If anyone's already working on kernel support for lose95/98's "big"
> extended partitions, please let me know, otherwse I'll start poking
> around. It's starting to become a FAQ in the newsgroups (with no
> good answers!), now that you can get a 9G SCSI drive for <$500 on a
> good day, and a >8G IDE drive for less yet... I think we really,
> really need this in 2.2, if not 2.2.0, otherwise there goes a good
> chunk of our losedows non-combatibility...
>

> Hmm. Can you be more explicit? What support are you looking for
> that is not there already?
When lose95's fdisk makes a big extended partition be "type 0xf",
linux doesn't recognize it as an extended partition (kernel problem),
nor does linux fdisk (userspace problem). When I edit the partition
table to make that a "type 0x5", lose95 crashes early and often, and
I can't fix lose95, so it's Linux that needs to become aware of the
new extended partition type so it (and its fdisk program) can see and
edit partitions inside the new-type extended partition.

It should be just a matter of accepting 0xf as an extended partition
type (easy), and figuring out and going along with whatever Microsoft
changed that led it to change the type ID (maybe harder).

Also, as a side note, even booting up with init=/bin/sh I can't
get linux to re-read the partition table when I fdisk; from runlevel
3 or runlevel 1 (having booted normally then telinit 1), it won't
even write the partition table out to disk. The output says there's
things still using it, or some such. Did somebody change the ioctl
interface since 2.1.109 or so?

Keith

--
"The avalanche has already started; |Linux: http://www.linuxhq.com     |"Zooty,