Re: Documentation for Kernel functions

Matthias Welwarsky (matze@stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de)
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 17:21:11 +0200

Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 peter.teoh@db.com wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Currently there is no reference manual for all the functions implemented
> > in the kernel, or the internal structures. Although there exists a few
> > commercial books on this topics, but I hope it can be made freely
> > available. And there is none that is alphabetically ordered covering all
> > the routines implemented.
> >
> > I would like to undertake this task....can someone comment on this?
> > Is it reinventing the wheel?
> Although a similar thing (but somewhat out of date) exists as part of
> KHG, I do not think you are reinventing the wheel. Rather it is like shooting
> the wheel which rolls incredibly fast along the road called "development".
> But if you are in possession of titanic powers and able to keep up with all
> the changes on all platforms I would definitely enjoy reading your
> documentation. :)

Wrong attempt IMHO. Trying to write a centralised document for the linux
kernel, even if maintained by a staff of people, will definitely fail.
I´ve looked into several books about the kernel, most of them deal with
2.0 or even 1.2 kernels. Outdated by far. Those that deal with 2.1 are
mostly uncomplete.

Additionally, someone, even with decent knowledge of common OS design
will spend lots of time in understanding linux´ structures and
mechanisms and for that time be unable to catch up with the "wheel".

So I suggest that who writes the code, documents it. Some of you now
might claim that this will slow down development. Agreed. But the
project "linux" has grown to an extent that is not overseeable for a
person looking from "outside", may he be as skilled a programmer as can
be. Good documentation will lead to higher quality of kernel code, it's
definitely worth the effort. Already there are many examples of bad
kernel code that's due to misunderstood concepts. Just mentioning the
dev->tbusy thingy.

Gruss,
Matthias