Re: bug introduced in 2.0.34

Spudgun (spudgun@earthlight.co.nz)
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 00:06:49 +1300 (NZDT)

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 20:35:27 +0100 (BST)
> From: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
> To: jan.echternach@informatik.uni-rostock.de
> Cc: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk, Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl,
> linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: Re: bug introduced in 2.0.34
>
> > What I'm wondering about is if the kernel already handles a transition
> > from DST to non-DST in a sane way. The kernel would have to use a
> > different local time - UTC offset after the transition.
>
> Its intended to

Well New Zealand rolled over 2 weeks ago ,
( 2 am October 4 => 3 am October 4 )
and when i went to change my clock linux had done it for me
a `clock -r` showed the time 1 hour earlier than `date` did
So I happily `clock -w` and then forgot about it.

of course nothing in the logs so say it happened

Oct 4 01:48:06 potato named[74]: Ready to answer queries.
Oct 4 03:19:37 potato in.comsat[16770]: connect from 127.0.0.1

just a time gap

so it works ;)

> > Use an user mode daemon that updates the offset when the transition
> > happens? Hmm. No. Imperfect. There would always be a (small) time
> > window with the wrong offset.
>
> What do you think happens if your NT boxes are 5 minutes apart during
> a DST change..

I'm guessing a few BSOD ?
;)

--