Re: Linux 2.1.126pre2ac1

William Stearns (wstearns@pobox.com)
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 23:51:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, William Stearns wrote:

> > >kernel/kernel.o(__ksymtab+0x7d8): undefined reference to `pckbd_read_mask'
> > >
> > > Is it simply a matter of changing:
> > >extern unsigned char aux_device_present, pckbd_read_mask;
> > >extern unsigned char aux_device_present;
> > > in kernel/ksyms.c?
> >
> > This analysis is correct, the pckbd_read_mask variable should go
> > away, it's not needed anymore, and definitely not part of the
> > kernel API as an exported symbol.
> >
> > Don't blame Linus, I forgot about the stuff in ksyms.c. Your
> > report did however make me wonder what's different between our
> > configurations, because the change does compile for me, and has
> > been tested to work. Looking at ksyms.c, I suspect you are
> > using an old .config file, because the
> > EXPORT_SYMBOL(pckbd_read_mask) is bracketed with #ifdef
> > CONFIG_PSMOUSE_MODULE. Now that the PS/2 mouse driver has been
>
> I believe you're correct. The script I use to build my kernels
> copies the .config from the last kernel I compiled in this series (2.1.125
> in this case). I had the ps/2 mouse modularized before:
> CONFIG_PSMOUSE=m
> and it stayed as "m" even after running make menuconfig on it. I'll try
> building with "=y" after work today.

Johan, you were right. I changed the PSMOUSE=m to PSMOUSE=y and
a clean build succeeded in creating a zImage. The tristate to y/n
makefile issue is in mec's capable hands now...
Cheers,
- Bill

BTW: Horst - I keep getting 4 hour delay notices for you:
MAILER-DAEMON@chac.inf.utfsm.cl complains of
<vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl>... Deferred: No route to host