Re: 921Kbps on Linux: is it possible ?!?!

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 14:57:09 -0400

From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 15:08:42 +0100 (BST)

Ted, Linux can either continue the 500 crazy bitpatterns for unrelated baud
rate game that POSIX didnt fix or fix it properly

Define a CBAUD value for "Other"

Add

struct termspeed
{
u32 ispeed;
u32 ospeed;
};

and ioctls for

TIOCGSPEED
TIOCSSPEED

Given that getting new features into Linux 2.2 is pretty much closed at
this point, it's going to have to wait for Linux 2.3; and if we're going
to wait for Linux 2.3, I'd much rather do things right and simply move
to actually putting the ipseed and opseed values directly into the
struct termios, and then make the tcsetispeed and tcsetopseed functions
take arbitrary baud rates, and make B9600 be 9600, B115200 be 115200,
etc.

It's the solution BSD 4.4 choose, and it really is the cleanest fix. We
can use glibc and symbol versioning to provide backwards compatibility
to handle the ABI change.

- Ted