Re: Cyrix Detection -- NO SMP, please ?????

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 21:25:23 +0400 (MSD)

19-Oct-98 11:04 you wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, David Weinehall wrote:

# >> i386 have almost become a history. May be I'm wrong, but I don't see any
# >> sense to run 2.1.xxx-2.2.x kernels on i386. The entry level is i486.
> #
> # I, for one, would be very disappointed if i386 support disappeared; it'd
> # remove a lot of debugging possibilities for me, such as ESDI, etc. And why
> # would we dump i386? It's not particularly hard to maintain...

> Ummm, excuse me. I don't mean to burst into this conversation, but I've
> been away for a while. Let me make sure of something,

> We aren't SERIOUSLY considering removing 80386 support are we??? I mean,
> we better not be. Thats is one of the things that makes linux shine above
> the competition: you don't need to run it on a bleeding edge machine.

> I _do_ run linux on i386's, 4 of them in fact (they do some stupid
> networking functions, like DNS). I also run it on 2 486's, 4 pentium class
> and 1 pii machine.

> Dropping support for i386 would be, well, just plain stupid.

No, it will not. Talk was NOT about dropping support for i386 in kernel or in
gcc. It was about support in "mainstream" distributions. I'm NEVER seen ANY
i386 in last year with KDE or GNOME and Netscape 4.x or StarOffice used to
web-surfing in GUI-browser or tweaking spredshits: all i386 seen by me was
some small routers, DNS-servers and sometimes even web-servers and was heavily
tweaked anyway. You DO NOT need kernel 2.2-based RedHat 5.5 (or 6.0) in "full
glory" for such things. May be special distriburtion for such computers
(RedHat Lite :-) will be great but most programs from RedHat 5.1 could not
be used there without LOOOONG delays...