Re: [patch] jiffies wraparound [Re: 2.1.125 Show stopper list: Draft]

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 18:07:00 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Matti Aarnio wrote:

> You would get Alpha users to worry about wrap-around in
>about 24.3 days ... (2^31/HZ seconds) No thanks.

Alpha users can' t set a timer for more than 2^32/1024 sec anyway. This is
the only reason of my first thought to use an int.

For this reason using `long timeout' cause on alpha to set _no_ timer if
schedule_timeout() will be recalled with MAX_SCHEDULE_TIMEOUT == (~0UL >>
1).

I am asking myself if make sense at all to set a timer with
MAX_SCHEDULE_TIMEOUT everywhere. Should not we simply call schedule() with
TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE in such cases (without using
schedule_timeout(MAX_SCHEDULE_TIMEOUT) ?).

Andrea Arcangeli