Re: Linux 2.1.126pre2ac1

William Stearns (wstearns@pobox.com)
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 08:51:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Johan Myreen wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, William Stearns wrote:
>
> >> You asked for it. This variable turns out never to be defined:
> >> +unsigned char pckbd_read_mask;
> >kernel/kernel.o(__ksymtab+0x7d8): undefined reference to `pckbd_read_mask'
> >
> > Is it simply a matter of changing:
> >extern unsigned char aux_device_present, pckbd_read_mask;
> >extern unsigned char aux_device_present;
> > in kernel/ksyms.c?
>
> This analysis is correct, the pckbd_read_mask variable should go
> away, it's not needed anymore, and definitely not part of the
> kernel API as an exported symbol.
>
> Don't blame Linus, I forgot about the stuff in ksyms.c. Your
> report did however make me wonder what's different between our
> configurations, because the change does compile for me, and has
> been tested to work. Looking at ksyms.c, I suspect you are
> using an old .config file, because the
> EXPORT_SYMBOL(pckbd_read_mask) is bracketed with #ifdef
> CONFIG_PSMOUSE_MODULE. Now that the PS/2 mouse driver has been

I believe you're correct. The script I use to build my kernels
copies the .config from the last kernel I compiled in this series (2.1.125
in this case). I had the ps/2 mouse modularized before:
CONFIG_PSMOUSE=m
and it stayed as "m" even after running make menuconfig on it. I'll try
building with "=y" after work today.
Is this one of those things that happens so infrequently that it
isn't handled; an option that was once tristate becomes yes/no only and
make [menu|x]config doesn't change the "m" to a "y"?

> integrated into the keyboard driver, it's not available as a
> module anymore, because the keyboard driver has not been
> modularized either. (Before you all start screaming bloody
> murder, please consider that the driver is quite small:
> pc_keyb.c is now 931 lines total, including the mouse driver,
> compared to 628 lines before. The old psaux.c was 452 lines,
> mouse and keyboard drivers totalled 1080 lines in 2.1.125.)

I'm quite happy to have it as y/n only to have cleaner/more
integrated/more maintainable code.
Cheers,
- Bill