Re: Linux 2.1.126pre2ac1

Johan Myreen (johan.myreen@setec.fi)
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 11:57:19 +0300

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, William Stearns wrote:

>> You asked for it. This variable turns out never to be defined:
>> +unsigned char pckbd_read_mask;
>kernel/kernel.o(__ksymtab+0x7d8): undefined reference to `pckbd_read_mask'
>
> Is it simply a matter of changing:
>extern unsigned char aux_device_present, pckbd_read_mask;
>extern unsigned char aux_device_present;
> in kernel/ksyms.c?

This analysis is correct, the pckbd_read_mask variable should go
away, it's not needed anymore, and definitely not part of the
kernel API as an exported symbol.

Don't blame Linus, I forgot about the stuff in ksyms.c. Your
report did however make me wonder what's different between our
configurations, because the change does compile for me, and has
been tested to work. Looking at ksyms.c, I suspect you are
using an old .config file, because the
EXPORT_SYMBOL(pckbd_read_mask) is bracketed with #ifdef
CONFIG_PSMOUSE_MODULE. Now that the PS/2 mouse driver has been
integrated into the keyboard driver, it's not available as a
module anymore, because the keyboard driver has not been
modularized either. (Before you all start screaming bloody
murder, please consider that the driver is quite small:
pc_keyb.c is now 931 lines total, including the mouse driver,
compared to 628 lines before. The old psaux.c was 452 lines,
mouse and keyboard drivers totalled 1080 lines in 2.1.125.)

Johan Myreen