Re: Network in 2.0.35 stops working(DEC DC21142) again

Donald Becker (becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov)
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 17:55:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 18 Oct 1998, Chris Evans wrote:
> > The network on a server with kernel 2.0.35 stoped working again. That is

[[ This was an unexplained failure to run the interrupt handler when the
chip was raising an interrupt on an SMP system. ]]

> You might want to check out 2.0.36pre15 -- it contains a newer de4x5.c
> driver and the fix list AFAIK specifically mentions some SMP correctness
> fixes.

The SMP bug isn't in the drivers, it's in the SMP interrupt dispatch. The
best the driver can do is detect that it's occuring.

> BTW: We also saw tulip.c driver lose the network too. tulip.c doesn't
> appear to have been updated in a while, so maybe it's missing the generic
> network driver fixes that have been discovered recently.

The tulip.c driver has been updated every two weeks or so for the past year
to support various new boards and chips. The one distributed with the
kernel is rather old, but I think this report was using a more recent
version.

Donald Becker becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD. 20771
301-286-0882 http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html