Re: Does linux first allocate under 64MB?

Brian Gerst (bgerst@quark.vpplus.com)
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 14:37:15 -0400

Marc MERLIN wrote:

> The reason I ask is that as you know, many motherboards still have those
> braindead intel chipsets that can only cache 64MB of ram.
>
> If you put more memory in one of those machines, will linux first use the
> lower 64MB, and then the rest? Is there any way to prioritize memory like
> you can prioritize swap, and tell the kernel that memory between 64M and 96M
> for instance, is only to be used the rest of the memory is full, and if
> possible with data that is not as crucial (like disk cache)?
>
> I can also find other examples, where you'd mix slower and faster memory in
> the same PC (like 60ns EDO and old 70ns FPM). But then, I don't know if the
> bios itself will actually handle each pair of memory banks at its optimal
> speed, or if it will just take the lowest common denominator...

There was a patch kicking around that reserved slower memory
(uncacheable) for a ramdisk, which could then be used as a very fast
swap device. I don't know who posted it or where to find it
unfortunately.

--

Brian Gerst