Re: [patch] jiffies wraparound [Re: 2.1.125 Show stopper list: Draft]

Jonathan A. Davis (jonathan@evergreen.otr.usm.edu)
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 09:11:32 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 18 Oct 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > > Linus are you worried to fix the jiffies wrap bug?
> >
> > Quite frankly, considering the "jiffies" thing to be a show-stopper is
> > just ridiculous. It's not even on my radar, and I don't see this being a
> > 2.2 issue.
>
> I guess it depends on your agenda. An OS that has to be rebooted every
> 490 days isnt a very good embedded system large or small. "Please remember
> to reboot your building airconditioning control system about next august" ;)

I wouldn't have go as far as embedded systems. Before I finally had to
move it to new hardware (at 5+ years of age, I was getting worried) our
primary DNS server had passed 330 days and was still going strong. We've
also had some WAN connection machines (now retired to fibre) that made it
into the 400+ day range before I made a note to reboot them.

You have yourselves to blame for stability. :-)

-Jonathan < >