Re: [patch] jiffies wraparound [Re: 2.1.125 Show stopper list: Draft]

David S. Miller (davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com)
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 07:29:31 -0700

Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 16:24:52 +0200 (CEST)
From: Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@e-mind.com>

On Sun, 18 Oct 1998, David S. Miller wrote:

> I think that using a bitwise flag (use_timeout) could eventually
> also improve performance because when the timeout expire we don' t
> need to set to 0 a 64 bit memory area on 64bit arch. I am not 100%
> sure though ;-).
>
>On most RISC machines, bitfield extract/store is implemented as word
^^^^
I guess that there are not asm instruction for bitwise memory accesses.
Word means 32 or 64 bit (->timeout is a 64 bit memory area)? I have no
cross compier to check the output asm here.

Correct, and in fact on the Alpha you cannot even load a half-word
(16-bits) or (8-bit) quantity by itself into a register unless you
have a very recent Alpha cpu.

The size of this "word" is whatever the architecture natural word size
is, 64-bits on sparc64/alpha and 32-bit on most others.

>memory operations with the bit twiddle in the register. This is
>actually specified by the ABI, sparc64 and alpha do this for example.

ABI ??

"Application Binary Interface" they describe things other than the ELF
object file format there you know :-) They tell how bitfields are
layed out in structures and suggested ways to load/store/modify them
in assembler etc.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com