Re: [patch] jiffies wraparound [Re: 2.1.125 Show stopper list: Draft]

Tim Smith (tzs@tzs.net)
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 02:49:38 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 17 Oct 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> As to embedded systems and rebooting: many of them are _designed_ to be
> rebooted once a day. They do it not because they know that there's a

On the other hand, being designed to be rebooted once a day and *actually*
being rebooted once a day are two different things. I seem to recall that
some of the failures of Patriot missiles to shoot down SCUD missiles during
the Gulf war were traced to the Patriot tracking software being run
continuously for several days. It was designed to be rebooted every day
or so.

Never underestimate the power of the end user to ignore instructions!

--Tim Smith