Re: [patch] jiffies wraparound [Re: 2.1.125 Show stopper list: Draft]

Gregory Maxwell (linker@z.ml.org)
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 03:05:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 18 Oct 1998, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Oct 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> >I've put it down in the things to sort out properly for 2.3 section.
>
> Hmm, I don' t like very much the fact that 2.2 will have no one
> probability to survive at the jiffies wrap but sure it' s better that it
> dies than what it does in 2.0 (there could be something screwed up). In
> 2.2 we could eventually do something like this:

I had a 2.0 survive jiffie wrap just fine.. I think it killed a process
and screwed up uptime.. But otther that that it was okay..

I routienly see Novell 3.12 servers with 500+ days (saw a 1500 day once
and it hard locked while I was there, musta know we were talking about
replacing it)..

While I dont think that it should be a priority, we should fix the obvious
places and get it to where there is a chance of survival.. And perhaps put
in a panic that it should be rebooted when possible.