Re: Cyrix Detection -- NO SMP, please ?????

Rob Dale (rob@nb.net)
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 23:30:56 -0400

Khimenko Victor wrote:

> SMP=1 commented out ? No multicasting with eepro100 ???? What a hell ? SUCH
> RECOMENDATION IS NOT ACCEPTABLE for 2.2 kernel! Reason ? 2.2 kernel SHOULD
> work for AT LEAST 99.9% peoples in precompiled binary-only version with all
> needed capabilities !!!

Sorry to bust in on this conversation, but I really don't believe
that 99.9% of the people really NEED multicast. For the past
4 years running Linux on my home network of various archs on
6 machines, I've never used multicasting. Nor do I think
that 99.9% of the people need SMP. I also believe that people
with SMP machines know what they are doing and are therefore
quite capable compiling a kernel with SMP=1.

__
Robert Dale

Kenny's Dad: We've got a Coleco Vision plugged into the black & white TV.
Kyle: Oh my God, this is like a third world country!

(South Park)