Re: /proc/bus/pci odd behavior

MOLNAR Ingo (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 05:18:54 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 17 Oct 1998, Martin Mares wrote:

> We _do_ take into account real hardware. We already disallow access to
> anything else than the standard header to ordinary users. Root is expected
> to know what he is doing and system interfaces should not be obscurified
> just to make the machine uncrashable by root who types commands he doesn't
> understand. /proc/ioports is just the same story and nobody is worried
> about it -- do you see any difference?

maybe building a list of known broken card IDs and 'printing out something
nasty' instead of 'locking up silently' prevents most of the problems?

While it's not fundamentally different from using /proc/ioports, people
feel uncomfortable because 'lspci -xx' is such a simple command and looks
pretty harmless on the surface. (even if the man page warns about possible
lockups). Maybe changing it to lspci --unsafe-query-all warns people.
(also, it's just one typo away from 'lspci -x') [Admittedly, i use lspci
-xx frequently and only recently learned about it's side effects. It looks
too harmless IMHO.]

-- mingo