Re: Summary (was Re: Breaking the 64MB barrier)

Achim Oppelt (aoppelt@theorie3.physik.uni-erlangen.de)
17 Oct 1998 16:41:01 +0200

"B. James Phillippe" <bryan@terran.org> writes:

> > Yeah. Opening the case to add/remove SIMMs is very easy, compared to a
> > "vi /etc/lilo.conf; /sbin/lilo". :-)
>
> Actually, I hope you're not being sarcastic. The company I work for is
> similar to Corel and Cobaltmicro in that we too sell an "appliance"-like

Well, I was being sarcastic, thinking of the "normal" Linux user. Of
course, for special applications such as yours, I can see why automatic
memory detection is useful - I just didn't think of these cases when I
replied. My apologies.

> (FYI, the product is an Internet firewall called the WatchGuard Firebox
> [http://www.watchguard.com FMI]) so we are faced with much of the

I've just had a look at it. Looks pretty cool. But why does a firewall
need more than 64MB RAM? :-) And it's too bad the whole software is
apparently not GPLed. :-( In fact, it isn't mentioned anywhere on the web
site that the device is Linux based. But I guess that's a marketing
decision. Although it would certainly be interesting to see what kind of
modifications you made to the kernel to make it more secure.

Achim