RE: SMP Setup

Gregory Maxwell (linker@z.ml.org)
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 00:31:02 -0400 (EDT)

I'd suggest you try 2.0.36-pre12. While technically not the stable
version, it's better then 2.0.35 in some ways and should not be worse in
any way.

You need to get the linux-2.1.215 kernel. There is not a patch from
2.0.35->2.1 because it would be larger then downloading the whole thing
(by far, 2.1 has been in development for like 2 years).

RedHat 5.1 has most of what you need. You might also want to upgrade to
modutils 2.1.122 (RedHat 5.1 includes 2.1.88 which should work though)..
If you will be using PPP you will probably need a new pppd. I think new
versions of these things are avail in redhats contrib directory as rpms.
Also, you will want to read the Changes file that is included with the 2.1
kernel. It lists all the versions for the tools you should have. I think
pppd is the only thing that RH5.1 wont work with, but to get the best out
of your 2.1 instalation you should be running the current versions of all
the listed utils.

2.2 is very close, and the 2.1 kernels are quite stable on most hardware
configurations. (Calling them stable/unstable is a misnomer, it should be
slow/fast development).

I run many linux boxes. Some workstations, some toys, some servers... I've
also got quite a few SMP boxes which all run 2.1 now, (SMP is so much
better under 2.1) including a high load production web server.

If you've got any further questions.. :) If I dont reply in a day or two..
Please mail me at greg@z.ml.org.. I sometimes lose mail in this account
because of the list volume it recieves.