Re: IDE-Driver and APCUPSD Status (READ ME ALL)

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 02:29:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Andre M. Hedrick wrote:

>> >All updates of the IDE-Driver that I have been working on are suspended
>> >until I can resolve the mess that Mike Harris has made for me. This is
>
>> sore thing to do. The APC problem, and the IDE related stuff are
>> two very isolated issues.
>
>Yes, this was stupid of me to even consider, and I am sorry to that.
>As time permits and my thoughts collect, I will look at the IDE issues
>again. My mind is so scattered over the issues, I lost the grand
>perspective.

Great, I'm glad to hear that. It is all to easy for us to make
rash decisions under the gun. I too am occasionally guilty of
this as well. As you'll recall, my first message to you was also
"harsh". Of course I was in the wrong as well, and I apologized
for that, and hoped that we could work towards a common goal.

I think that it sounds like we all still want that, so it appears
as though we are progressing still, despite the bumps.

>> I've learned several things so far from this experience:
>>
>> 1) Some people don't take the GPL seriously
>> 2) Some people don't understand the GPL at all
>> 3) Standing up for your rights gets you nailed to the cross
>
>I did not want this to become a public issue, since I had other possible
>solutions to the GPL problem. I am now left with one ACE to play and if
>it fails, and it should not, this would have been an exercise in
>blood-pressure...........

Fair enough.

>I take the GPL very seriously, but some times you have to bend a little to
>gain a lot. The last thing to point out is that every reference that I
>examined at the beginning of the project has been considered public
>knowledge without a direct GPL attached.........unless you know something
>that I don't.

In other words, you wrote the program without prior knowledge or
documentation, or source code on how the protocols worked for the
APC UPS? That was my take from the beginning, and that is why I
don't think you need to worry about APC. They're making a legal
bluff to force you to do what is in their best interests. I
believe you realize this though.

>I put the original GPL into the package which has had at least
>three names assigned by me. I chose to move slowly to an work
>to get everything in writing to prevent this from ever happening
>again.

I'm not quite sure of what you mean from the above. It is always
best to make sure about the legalities of things prior to actions
though.

>I hope that you learned this also:
>
>Publically blasts, with good intensions or not, is usually not the best
>approach to any issue.

Yes. I've learned that several times. Occasionally though,
human nature overrides "sense" and things happen. ;o)

>The net result is that I made many irrational statements, did stupid
>things, and burdend this list with an issue that does not belong.

I believe that I have been a little hot on this matter as well,
due to the direct problems I've encountered. I am a
results-oriented person, and I usually research my poker hand
fairly well, and then play the low cards first. Unfortunately,
the whole thing has blown up into something huge with lots of
arguing, and personal attacks from all sides - that is not what I
wanted at all.

Sometimes when we want some immediate action though, we pour some
gas on the fire - if you know what I mean.

>We all need to remember that there is a real person on the other end of a
>terminal, I find that there are many things that are said on a list that
>would never be stated face to face. I still do this childish act, and one
>day I hope to be able to practice what I said above.

Much agreed, I myself do the same, and I believe a great many
people do so as well, although many may not have the guts to
admit it. Again, it's human nature...

>Finally, I ask that this issue be put to rest and let time resolve the
>issue. I have nothing more to say on this issue again.........

Very well, lets do just that.

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Linux software galore: http://freshmeat.net