Re: console.c

Konstantin Kivi (konst@sirena.rinet.ru)
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 11:47:50 +0400 (MSD)

> On Wed, Oct 14, 1998 at 11:38:07PM +0400, Konstantin Kivi wrote:
> >

> > Hello All !
> >
> > I have no idea, who is
> > responsible for console.c in kernel/drivers/char/
> > so I will write to this list.
> >
> And this is absolutely correct: ANSI/ISO standard declare _ALL_
> characters between 0x80 and 0x9f as C1 control characters. Unfortunately
> for you M$ tends to ignore standards. The character in question is
> called "CONTROL SEQUENCE INTRODUCER" or CSI and is the eight bit equivalent
> to ESC [ (or rather ESC [ is the 7bit equivalent of CSI).

M$ is my to the same degree as it is yours. Your answer just
give M$ another chance to win (or to Win ;-) and I think it
is short sighted . For first
time users of linux this will only prevent them from using
it.

> Use the appropriate ISO encoding for your console and have a tool
> recode the texts in question (GNU recode or iconv come to mind).

Oracle for linux, for example, doen't support koi8-r encoding
which is the only one correct for my language from your point
of view.

I don't know any program that exploits this standart, and
as long as there will be no way to switch this off at run time
I will have to recompile the kernel. And many people will just
use M$ instead of linux.

As for ANSI/ISO they have plenty of beautiful standards.