Re: Testing watchdog timer card...?

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
16 Oct 1998 18:23:43 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.yubzpazt84r.fsf@canopus.starshine.org>,
Jim Dennis <jimd@starshine.org> wrote:

> Is there a way I can force a kernel to hang
> so as to test the functionality of a watchdog timer
> card?

Write a little device driver that simply goes into an
infinite loop inside kernel mode when you open the
device. Two or three minutes later, you should have
the test completed.

Though I've found that just killing the watchdog daemon,
or, more recently, installing The Wrong Device Driver
will provide a really good test of how well the watchdog
card works.

____
david parsons \bi/ 3 minutes is about long enough for a fsck to finish
\/ and the system to go multiuser.