Re: IDE-Driver and APCUPSD Status (READ ME ALL)

Andre M. Hedrick (hedrick@astro.dyer.vanderbilt.edu)
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 18:05:43 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Andre M. Hedrick wrote:
>
> >All updates of the IDE-Driver that I have been working on are suspended
> >until I can resolve the mess that Mike Harris has made for me. This is

> sore thing to do. The APC problem, and the IDE related stuff are
> two very isolated issues.

Yes, this was stupid of me to even consider, and I am sorry to that.
As time permits and my thoughts collect, I will look at the IDE issues
again. My mind is so scattered over the issues, I lost the grand
perspective.

> I've learned several things so far from this experience:
>
> 1) Some people don't take the GPL seriously
> 2) Some people don't understand the GPL at all
> 3) Standing up for your rights gets you nailed to the cross

I did not want this to become a public issue, since I had other possible
solutions to the GPL problem. I am now left with one ACE to play and if
it fails, and it should not, this would have been an exercise in
blood-pressure...........

I take the GPL very seriously, but some times you have to bend a little to
gain a lot. The last thing to point out is that every reference that I
examined at the beginning of the project has been considered public
knowledge without a direct GPL attached.........unless you know something
that I don't. I put the original GPL into the package which has had at
least three names assigned by me. I chose to move slowly to an work to
get everything in writing to prevent this from ever happening again.

I hope that you learned this also:

Publically blasts, with good intensions or not, is usually not the best
approach to any issue.

The net result is that I made many irrational statements, did stupid
things, and burdend this list with an issue that does not belong.
We all need to remember that there is a real person on the other end of a
terminal, I find that there are many things that are said on a list that
would never be stated face to face. I still do this childish act, and one
day I hope to be able to practice what I said above.

Finally, I ask that this issue be put to rest and let time resolve the
issue. I have nothing more to say on this issue again.........

Cheers,
Andre Hedrick
The IDE-FNG for Linux

http://www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma/