Re: eepro100 1.0.3 patch

Donald Becker (becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov)
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 16:52:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Serguei Koubouchine wrote:

> > Use
> > http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/test/eepro100.c
>
> It does work. No problems so far, everybody's happy :)) But it DOES need that
> little patch to open() - some cards (namely ATX-2560) won't come up without
> it. Having the patch applied, I have all the machines under my control
> running without problems. The load is heavy, gateds running etc... Kernel
> is 2.1.125-ac2 with the latest OOM patch.
>
> Please, Donald, do add those two lines to open() ...

I added a corrected fix (only do the mdio_read() when the board has a MII
transceiver!), along with the low-memory fix.

v1.05 is available from
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/test/eepro100.c

Since this is a quick release (it has only had an hour of testing here),
this version doesn't include the adaptive multicast filter list code that
I've been working on.

The mdio_read() shouldn't do anything, but I'm guessing the transceiver on
that board version does not recover from a reset unless the control register
is read. The transceiver reset was added a few versions ago to recover from
certain link partners hanging, so earlier driver versions likely did not
encounter this problem.

Donald Becker becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD. 20771
301-286-0882 http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html