Re: CONFIG_SMP

Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 07:27:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, David Woodhouse wrote:

> Is CONFIG_SMP going to be introduced into the kernel before 2.2? Now that SMP
> is well tested and supported, it'd be a shame to keep it as hidden as it was
> in 2.0

The problem, as I read in the Makefile, was that SMP is dependant
on too many things, and I got the impression that things depended on it that
couldn't simple be '#ifdef'ed, I'm not sure why though.
In any case I created a patch for the i385, sparc and sparc64 config.in
files that will modify the Makefile to turn SMP either on or off, not the best
patch, and it means you can't just copy your .config into the new directory and
have it work, but I'm thinking on how to do that, as I'm sure there must be a
way, I'm just not as familiar w/ Makefile's as I am w/ shell scripts.
Hopefully I'll have another patch that will basically fgrep the .config
file from inside the Makefile and set SMP there dependant on what the fgrep
finds.

Stephen