Re: Announcing version 1.3-27 or system and kernel log daemon

Martin Schulze (linux-kernel@infodrom.north.de)
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 00:30:22 +0200

Xavier BEAUDOUIN wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Ian Wehrman wrote:
>
> > using kernel 2.1.125, and starting with sysklogd-1.3-27, i am getting a
> > bunch of these messages in my logs, exactly twenty minutes apart:
> >
> > [root@r77h19 sysklogd-1.3-27]# grep 'MARK' /var/log/messages
> > Oct 14 15:58:16 r77h19 -- MARK --
> [...]
> > is this normal?
>
> With some 2.0.35 or 2.0.36-pre[idunno] i've got such MARK too ;-(

This is a feature. It is well documented in syslogd(8):

-m interval
The syslogd logs a mark timestamp regularly. The
default interval between two -- MARK -- lines is 20
minutes. This can be changed with this option.

However, I have to admit that somewhere on the way to version 1.3
we broke it. Funny, nearly nobody noticed it until somebody really
read the manpage.

If you don't like it, start syslogd with `-m 65536'.

I have to add a sad truth. In the -27 version I included a patch
that broke syslogd completely - after some 30 minutes running. Quite
easy to detect...

I have reverted this particular patch and put together subversion
-28.

Again you'll find it at

ftp://ftp.infodrom.north.de/pub/people/joey/sysklogd/sysklogd-1.3-28.lsm
ftp://ftp.infodrom.north.de/pub/people/joey/sysklogd/sysklogd-1.3-28.tar.gz

as well as on sunsite - while I don't know when it will sorted in there.

Regards,

Joey

--
Install joe (Joey's Own Editor)     correct: Joe's Own Editor