Re: APC, Your company is making a mistake!

Ken Pizzini (ken@halcyon.com)
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 02:43:50 -0600

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998 13:35:40 -0400 (EDT),
Majdi Abbas <abbas@cdtelecom.com> wrote:
>Justin A. Kolodziej wrote:
>| As soon as you or anyone else can explain to me WHY he can still distribute
>| the binaries without source being made available, if in fact this is the case.
>
> The author can change the license the code is distributed under.

Actually, the copyright holder, who may or may not be the
author, has the right to distribute the work in whatever manner
they please. The GPL is a *license* which the copyright holder
is blanket-granting to others specifying the conditions under
which said others are permitted to redistribute their work. Also,
the copyright holder is free to offer other distribution licenses,
whether blanket ("anyone may...") or specific to one individual
("John Smith, IV may..."). Or to put the work in the public domain.
Or to sell (or otherwise transfer) the copyright to some new owner.

(IANAL. YMMV. SAR. etc.)
--Ken Pizzini