Re: Linux vs Microsoft

Christian Brandt (brandtc@psi5.com)
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 01:37:24 +0200

karl ward wrote:

> i believe the progression goes like this:
>
> mac -> windows95 -> windows nt -> linux
>
> mac because all the schools have them. windows cause that's what all the
> pcs come with. windows nt cause 95 is ridiculously unreliable (not
> everyone takes this step... it's an expensive one). and linux cause it's
> free, fast, and rugged as hell.

To be honest, I have never seen an Mac alive, they are not very wide
spread in europa and not at all at bavarian schools. But this one might
be interesting:

The german and especially the bavarian ministry of education supports
Linux as an cheap, powerfull and stable solution for schools. And there
are at least two distributions made for schools by magazines and
computer-buisness. Ok, there are quite some things which could be done
better, but the basic direction is clear.

When I meet my old physics-teacher and nowadays
computer-science-teacher after nine years again, I had the pleasure to
introduce him to linux - he liked it, so all 50 computers in my old
school are going to run under linux in a really, really powerfull
distributed system with lots of bells and whistles... and even the
smartest pupil will not crash those system (ehm... at least I hope so
:-) a real holiday after all the windows-hazzle. I guess, the rc5-power
of that net should be really impressive :-)

> i think the main things that linux developers need to be concerned with
> (as linux begins to butt up against ms) are:
>
> 1. desktop environment, preferably themable to windows, mac, and
> other styles, yet still highly customizable.

The mainreasons for linux were its stable multiuser- and
networking-capabilities. Or other said: The most evil thing the users
can do is rm -Rf ~/* :-)

Yes, this mail lacks information,

but it contains a big Thank You for Linux, dear Linux-community!

--
Christian Brandt

Life is short and in most cases it ends with death - Sir Sinclair