Re: Spawning modprobe for AX25?!

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 09:00:43 +1300

On Wed, Oct 14, 1998 at 04:42:00PM -0300, Horst von Brand wrote:

> This is contradictory... either you compile the kernel so it
> accepts new modules later (can't tell beforehand which ones, so
> "Never" is never an option), or not.

We are still restricted by NPROTO (presently 32) and we have families
defined for 0 to 22 inclusive. That leaves 23 -> 31 available.

Since 2.2.x is by its nature suposed to be stable, then why not add
an additional sanity check here?

> It has been explained here that "Never" is doable, but a lot more
> complicated than just leave the possibility open (given by current
> "No"); the problem a "Never" would solve is clearly _very_ minor
> (just "alias xyz off" in /etc/modules.conf works fine for me, no
> kernel changes at all!). So I guess (hope?) it won't be "fixed"

main(){ for(;;) socket(25,0,0); }

makes syslog work pretty hard....

> BTW, what you ask for exists: Symbol versioning for modules is in
> the kernel for ages now. Sure, you can't load ne2k from 2.1.125
> into 2.0.36pre14, but such is life, and the price for kernel
> advancement.

I could be me... but its always seemed tempermental. Ideally, any
2.2.x modules should be loadable into any 2.2.x kernel that supports
module loading.

-cw