Re: [Off Topic Conspiracy Theories] RE: UDI and Free(tm) Software

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
14 Oct 1998 11:55:12 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.98101217501000.00978@soda.catech.si>,
Andrej Presern <andrejp@luz.fe.uni-lj.si> wrote:

>Try to imagine the following situation. You're out to buy some hardware for
>your new server, for example a new SCSI controller. And because you're aware
>that in order to be useful this new shining SCSI controller is going to need a
>driver, you'll naturally try to make sure there is one for the operating system
>you use. You want to go with the safe bet and because you know you have a UDI
>conformant OS in the office, you decide to buy a card that has a label on it,
>saying "UDI CONFORMANT".
>
>Cool, you go, and you buy the thing, plug it into the system and install the
>drivers. Whoooooops! No driver version for this particular processor that
>everyone in our company (you can replace 'company' with 'customer' if you
>like) uses??? Ouch!

Then you take out the card, put it back into the box, and return it
to the vendor, telling them that it doesn't work and you'd like a
refund or replacement with another card. If they object, you then
ask your bank or credit-card company not to honor their invoice,
then go to another vendor and get a card that works.

What's the problem? If you wanted to be nice to the card maker,
you could call their tech support line and tell them why you're
returning the card: "your hardware doesn't work as advertised, and
I don't have the time to fool around trying to patch it into shape."

____
david parsons \bi/ Just like what people did with Diamond, et alii.
\/