Re: Arm the gnus

Andrej Presern (andrejp@luz.fe.uni-lj.si)
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 14:48:47 +0200

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
>There you go again, adding fuel to the fire. You ought to fight
>for your natural rights. Those that give up their freedom for a
>bit of comfort deserve neither and will get neither. All throughout
>history, oppressive governments have disarmed people so that the
>people may be controlled like dumb sheep.

I'm sorry but you don't seem to be aware what 'oppresive governments' and what
'disarming' means.

A dumb sheep is not a person without a rifle, a dumb sheep is a person whose
right to learn has been taken away. Having is a natural right, which makes
'having knowledge' and 'having guns' equal on this ground. Yet there has been
very little reaction to the WIPO treaty, which is taking away your 'natural
right to learn', while a flame WAR keeps raging on about your 'natural right
to bear arms'.

Wording in the last sentence is no coincidence.

You see weapons and wars always go hand in hand, they are naturally connected -
when you talk about weapons, war comes to play and when you talk about war,
weapons come to play. Peace on the other hand doesn't need a weapon. Peace
requires knowledge, understanding and open and sincere communication. So if
you're preparing for peace, you should learn to use these. If you're preparing
for war, learn how to use a rifle.

You should think about this, and then think about dumb sheep and natural
rights. At the end, think about how those things relate to each other and which
of the two 'natural rights' is more important to you.

Feel free to post publically what you've decided, if you feel you should do so.
Even though this is a linux kernel mailing list, which means this whole thread
is completely off-topic, we're always happy to read a post from someone who's
right. After all, everybody's right. If you don't think so, you can use a gun
to 'convert' the other side to the 'right' one, or you can _learn_ to understand
why the other side is also right.

By the way, what you've written is completely TRUE and you are absolutely
RIGHT. And I, by my whole heart, DO mean that! (and I even think you'll hardly
find someone who will disagree with what I've quoted anyway)

Andrej

--
Andrej Presern, andrejp@luz.fe.uni-lj.si