Cpuinfo and Pentiums [Was: "Geeks with Guns" and a question]

Ryan O'Connell (nemesis@eh.org)
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:51:32 +0100 (BST)

On 14-Oct-98 Alan Cox wrote:
>> NonOb Question: When I look at /proc/cpuinfo, it reports the model as
>> Pentium
>> 75+. I think I own a 90Mhz model. On the other hand, if I lift the heatsink,
>> there are no part numbers on the thing. Have I been ripped? (Wouldn't
>> surprise
>> me, I get number 11 errors during compiles pretty often...)
>
> The model doesnt directly answer that unfortunately. The CPU info can tell
> you if you have an original preventium (P60/66) or the later model P75->P120
> I believe (Im not sure where the P133+ fit in)

My Intel P150 (Overclocked to 166MHz) also shows up as a 75+

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 5
model : 2
model name : Pentium 75+
stepping : 12
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
sep_bug : no
f00f_bug : yes
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8
bogomips : 66.36

It's definitely a 150 as it's got all the right markings on the top. (And if it
was a 133 I'd have no chance of running it at 166, even with the heatsink and
fan from one of those old Metal-top P90s I've got ontop of it)

Model name is taken from the Model number - options are:
(From /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/kernel/setup.c)

Model 0 "Pentium 60/66 A-step"
1 "Pentium 60/66"
2 "Pentium 75+"
3 "OverDrive PODP5V83"
4 "Pentium MMX"
7 "Mobile Pentium 75+"
8 "Mobile Pentium MMX"

So basically you're going to get Pentium 75+ unless you have a laptop, MMX or a
really old P66 or less. The only thing that's going to change is the stepping,
which is a bit like a version number.

Ryan O'Connell - http://mipc-01.brunel.ac.uk:8080/
<nemesis@eh.org> -- <cs95rro@brunel.ac.uk>