More on the IDE drive problems after resume. (2.1.122-2.1.125)

Steve Dunham (dunham@cse.msu.edu)
14 Oct 1998 01:21:08 -0400

Steve Dunham <dunham@cse.msu.edu> writes:

> After I resume my laptop, I'm getting the following error messages:
>
> kernel: ide0: unexpected interrupt, status=0x58, count=1
> kernel: hda: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReadh SeekComplete DataRequest }
> kernel: hda: drive not ready for command

(Along with this I get a lot of segmentation faults, in any program
that isn't in the disk cache.)

More on the IDE/APM problems:

For me these problems began with the 2.1.122 kernel. I managed to
track this down to the fact that 2.1.122 enables multiple mode by
default.

If I boot a 2.1.125 kernel, and use hdparm to turn off multimode, then
the problem goes away.

Also, if I lower multimode to "8", the problem seems to go away. (The
newer kernels set it to the drive's maximum of 16.) With multimode
set to 16, the drive does work fine, until I suspend it for the first
time.

I'm not sure if the problem is with a buggy APM implementation in the
BIOS, a buggy hard drive, or a problem with the IDE driver in the
kernel.

The drive identifies itself as an "IBM-DSOA-20810". The machine is a
Dell Latitude XPi. A few other people have noted a similar problem on
the kernel list.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu