Re: 2.1.125 Show stopper list: Draft

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 13:10:40 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Rik van Riel wrote:

>> If we are not OOM and __get_free_pages() return 0, it means that
>> it's buggy (at least in _not_ GFP_ATOMIC context).
>
>It can also mean something else, but I think I've explained

If it' s something else (there is plenty of memory) __get_free_pages() is
buggy. We are failing a memory allocation while we should not fail because
there are 500Mbyte of RAM/swap free.

If __get_free_pages() would fail when not OOM you would noticed that, be
quiet.

>Not really, with your patch there's a slightly increased
>chance of killing a random process when there's still some
>swap free. My patch removes the randomness _and_ the unneeded
^^^^^^^^^
Please reproduce. Be sure that until somebody will tell me a way to
reproduce on his machine the failed memory allocation I will not touch one
bit in my code.

Andrea Arcangeli