Re: Cosmetic Changes: ensuring decency of the Linux Kernel Source.

Henrik Olsen (henrik@iaeste.dk)
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 03:11:35 +0000 ( )

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> I did a grep of the kernel for the "f-word" and to my surprize, found
> plenty...
>
> As English is not my first language I cannot insist with any degree of
> certainty that this is not acceptable but, just in case, I attached the
> list of files that someone more literate than me might want to
> "spell-check".
>
> My deepest and sincere apologies if this offends someone - my intention
> is only improvement of Linux in any way, however minor it may seem :)
>
> regards,
> Tigran

<lots of examples snipped>
> ./arch/sparc64/kernel/sys_sparc32.c: panic("Tell DaveM he fucked up...");

Personally I would consider this one the only case where a change would
make sense, as it's a messsage seen by the users, which (given finagles
law) WILL pop up on the screen just as you're rounding off your sales
pitch to your boss, followed by Linux being banned companywide instead of
replacing NT as you intended:)
(Ok, I know it'll be SunOS or Solaris or something, since it's in
/arch/sparc64, but that doesn't change my point:)

In most of the other cases, the word fuck is used to provoke people to fix
broken/ugly code and/or to complain about badly designed hardware, and as
such, its use has a valid purpose.

regards,
Henrik

--