Re: [Off Topic Conspiracy Theories] RE: UDI and Free(tm) Software

Garst R. Reese (reese@isn.net)
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 15:15:56 -0300

> Kevin Quick <kquick@iphase.com>
> Sun, 11 Oct 1998 10:21:52 -0500 (CDT)

[snip bs]
Young Kevin wrote:
> I disagree. I'm not aware of any other conformance specification
> which requires distribution of: source code, schematics, wiring
> diagrams, mechanical drawings, or other intellectual property. When
> you purchased your UL or TUV certified toaster, did it come with
> schematics?
Old Garst replies:
Yes Kevin, there was a time when they did. It is how I learned
electronics. It was not, AFAIK, legislated, but not much else was
either. It was just good business practice so that people could repair
things. Now we throw them away.
The other fact was that published specs were, by their nature,
yesterdays news. They did not help you innovate.

--
Garst