Re: libc.so.5.4.46 binaries

Barry Treahy (treahy@mmaz.com)
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 08:44:45 -0700

Peter T. Breuer wrote:

> "Barry Treahy wrote:"
> >
> > I downloaded libc.so.5.4.46 binaries and installed them on my 2.0.33
> > (Slackware distribution) and was a bit upset when my system chocked with
> > a last gasp of breath stating the the new library was not ELF?!?! I'm
> > no wizard here, but I know that this shouldn't happen.
> >
> > I had to reboot off of floppies and restore the libc.so.5 link to my
> > older library. Anyone know what the story is? Did I botch something?
>
> Probable (what was the older libc and ld.so)?

The libc I'm falling back to is 5.4.44 and I looked that the ld.so and it does
not have a symbolic link to a versioned library number. It is probably the
original from the Slackware distribution on 3.4. Also, I just did a build from
the source and the libc.5.4.46 built as an ELF library, but during the
installation, on one of the mv statements, the system lost reference to libc.so.5
(assuming that the link was removed) and I had to reboot off floppies again.
During the floppy run, the library was not ELF so I manually copied the freshly
built library and linked it. After a reboot, ALL BETTER!

> I do that kind of upgrade regularly and am at 5.4.46 on about half of the
> systems and still at 5.4.38 on the other half (waiting for the weekend) and
> have never had any problems (ld.so.1.9.9). It sounds like the system ran
> out of space on / during the install? Did you check the ld.so requirements ..
> but that should be OK.

I have to admit I missed the reference to ld.so.1.9.9, but I probably missed it
because I've built gcc and glib2 without problems... Because I'm missing the
symbolic link to the ld.so.x.x.x, how can I confirm which version I have?

Since I do have 5.4.46 running now, I guess the ultimate question is what broke
in the make process to product corrupted libraries? Another strange tid-bit is
that when I attempted to expand the binaries tar-ball, that failed too... Plenty
of disk space, just seems that during the library substitution, the system fails
to complete necessary copying of libc.5.4.46 (regardless of the source...)

Barry