Re: UDI stuff.

Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 07:37:23 -0400 (EDT)

I assure you this wouldn't make me, or probably many others, very
happy. I'd first be concerned that they'd say 'just use the binary drivers'
well after 8 months, and during that 8-month time-frame (Which really is a
rather LONG time these days w/ computers) it wouldn't be unlikely that myself
or someone else would need to use this new device, and have it be stable and
reliable (Which basically means open-source drivers).
For one simple example, I need to build a production system, the card
I want to use recently came out (Say 2-4 months ago), but doesn't have stable
drivers because it only has binary drivers and the company isn't willing to
release specs. My options are then buy an older card that is stable, but
will need to be replaced later, which may not even be an option depending on
the requirements of this >>PRODUCTION<< server, or to wait another 4-6 months
for the specs to be released, and another 1-2 months (at least...) for a stable
open-source driver to come out.
Sounds to me like this is a lose/lose situation, and this is really a
band-aide fix which is ugly and probably would not be followed well by all
parties involved anyway.

Stephen