Re: [ME TOO] Re: Linux-2.1.125 ... pre-2.2

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 09:41:18 +0200

On Oct 12, Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:

> > > IF 2.2 is released without these issues resolved, we'd better mark
> > > Adaptec 1542 support "EXPERIMENTAL" again.
>
> > It just needs fixing. The AHA1542 driver in 2.0.x is absolutely rock solid
>
> No, it is not, and has never been.
> The truth is: when no errors occur, the aha1542 driver functions fine.
> As soon as something goes wrong, garbage code is invoked.
> The error recovery code in aha1542.c is wrong or nonexistent.
>
> Five years ago a bad block on the disk would kill the system
> in a loop of resetting scsi bus... Today this is still true
> for 2.0. For 2.1 the details are a bit different because we
> now have scsi_error.c, but the end result is more or less
> the same: either the system is killed entirely, or the offending
> device is taken off-line.

my experiance with bad blocks is different. some time (1+ years) ago
I had a hard disk with some bad blocks and I tried to get a map of
these blocks using `badblocks' and similar programs.

the disk was connected to a NCR810 and _every_ read `succeesed'
and returned as much data as was requested, even for bad blocks.
I found no other way to figure out bad blocks than analyzing syslog output:(

then I connected the same disk to AHA1542 and `badblocks' worked perfectly,
mapping all bad blocks with no lockups. YMMV...

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\